Friday, June 23, 2006

setting up unix directories and then posting your webpage

Setting up your web page on pitt's homepage site:


To set up your public html directory:

Click on start button on bottom left of your monitor
Click on run
Type in: telnet unixs.cis.pitt.edu

What you type in:
pwd
cd public
pwd
mkdir html
ls
(UNIX should prompt you that there is an html directory by displaying html )

To transfer files to you html directory (rather spotty on this):

1. Go to your brower's url box and type in the url:
ftp://yourusername@ftp.pitt.edu (user name is the name you use to go into blackboard courseweb for example, jpw25 for jane willow)
2. enter your username and pasword
3. find public folder
I think the next two actions are right, but I have not done them:
find html
drag stuff into there.

To start a web page, save it and publish in from NVu to Pitt.edu:
(Don't put images in until you save it!)
Read the following tutorial that I found:

Nvu Tutorial 2: Adding Images, Changing Fonts, Changing Colours, Creating Links, Writing Your Content

Sincere thanks to Paul Peeling for providing much needed help and the help desk for helping me with some glitches that I could not get around. Kathy

1 Comments:

At 8:13 PM, Blogger Stefanie said...

Kathy-

HUGE help with the basics of Nvu! I finally got my page to work, and am declaring victory (for now). I'll owe you a beer/coke/eight dollar bottle of water during the July visit. :) Thanks!

- Stefanie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home