things that I have learned this week...
1. Half a mullet is not better than one. (Hope you are laughing Lynn.)
2. Telling a parent that their child's hair has some 'missing from the top' and 'just a couple chunks have been taken from each side' is really not traumatic. (Thanks Barb for being so calm.)
3. Even kid scissors should be placed on high shelves if more than two children are in your house.
4. When a camp counselor who has no background in child development tries to invalidate a young child's separation anxiety by telling you that you should leave a scared, crying three-year-old because 'they will stop crying by the next session', it is good to finally get to the point where you calmly can say, "I don't agree with that philosphy."
And it feels good to walk away, knowing that you did not let someone else use false expertise to sell your kid short and encourage him to invalidate his own feelings. A whispered, "You can't get out of the pool until you stop crying" just is icky. Thank goodness that comment was not directed at my child. Mother tiger would have made an appearence with at least a scathing comment.
5. When you go to view the suggested portal interface assignments to 'steal their code', the assignments can not be found. Yet another lesson in developing 'grace in the face of technology'.
6. Volunteering in a library is fun. You always leave feeling like you have accomplished something. And a good director can act as a mentor.
7. If you have the right colleagues at work, you really miss them when they are absent.
8. Letting children control the height of the water sprinkler is a good thing.
9. Amendment to the previous post. (This amendment has been edited because someone thought a weirdo might see it. So if you want to know what it is and I know who you are, ask me.) (I know, just when I had advice that I thought worked...)
10. I recently heard that you should laugh, think, and be moved to tears(cry) at least once a day. I think I'll add 'be open to new possibilities' to that list.
Well kids, this is the third post for the week, so have to check soon if I have 33!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home